3 favourite breakfasts from the PHI group
I thought you might like to try some of the breakfasts that the group have been trying over the 5 week course, and here are the favourite three.
- 250ml milk of your choice (we used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp maca powder (optional)
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 medjool date, stoned
- 1 small ripe banana
- Handful cavolo nero or spinach
- 1 tbsp almond butter
Pour the milk into a high-speed blender then add the ground flaxseed, maca powder (if using) and the cinnamon. Add the remaining ingredients then blitz until smooth.
Healthy Beans on Toast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely diced
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp cinnamon (or cumin)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½-1 tsp sugar, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 x 400g tin of peeled plum tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes (skinned)
- 1 x 400g tin of cooked chickpeas
- 2-4 slices of crusty bread (gluten-free if required), toasted
- fresh parsley and / or dill, to garnish (optional)
Heat up olive oil on a medium pan. Add onion and garlic and fry gently, stirring frequently. Add all the spices to the pan and mix for 1-2 minutes stirring the whole time.
Squash tinned tomatoes or chop them roughly before adding to the pan with a couple of tablespoons of water. Simmer on low-medium heat until the sauce has thickened.
Drain the chickpeas and let them warm through in the sauce.
Season with salt, sugar and black pepper.
Serve on toasted sourdough bread with a sprinkling of fresh herbs.
- 1 slice good quality sourdough or seeded bread
- ½ ripe avocado, sliced
- ½ tomato, diced
- ¼ of lemon, squeezed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 egg
In a bowl, smash avocado with a fork. Squeeze ¼ lemon, and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and set aside.
Warm a non-stick pan over medium heat. While pan is warming, toast bread.
Once the pan is warm, crack egg into the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Once edges of the egg are browning, flip the egg and continue cooking until desired doneness.
Top the bread with avocado mash, and top with diced tomatoes and pumpkin seeds.